Saturday, November 28, 2009

Frankfurt Christmas Market

We had Friday off of work to celebrate Thanksgiving, so we decided to go to Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market. It is the largest authentic German Christmas market outside of Germany and Austria with over 2 million visitors a year. There are over 180 stalls to see offering crafts, ornaments, candles, toys, jewelry, German food, and more. We also had a bit of shopping to do, so we took the train to the city in the early afternoon.

We had a great time walking from stall to stall seeing what there was to offer. We didn't buy anything (besides food) this time, but we are planning to go back once the term ends in a couple of weeks. We walked around for hours and got grilled sausages for dinner. They were delicious. Mike found the Haribo stalls and had trouble choosing only one of the treats they had to offer. He picked peach rings and they were quite good. I got a skewer of chocolate covered strawberries with a grape on top. YUM!! And then we bought a box of Berliners to take home with us for the weekend. A Berliner is a type of pastry that is basically a doughnut with filling. We got a few chocolate, one cinnamon, and one mint and they all had chocolate filling. The ones that we have eaten so far are soooooo good.

We picked up a few more things that we needed in the kitchen and headed home for the night. It was a fun and relaxing day! PS - Go Jackets!!


Some of the stalls behind me.




German sausages, yum!



Happy Christmas Birmingham!



Our tasty Berliners!

2 comments:

  1. When I read the title I almost got real pissed at you, I thought you came to Frankfurt and didnt call us. I am glad you got some German Christmas because they do it right. We are headed to the world famous one in Nuremberg this weekend. Love the Christmas Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I send you a Happy Christmas card or a Merry Christmas card?

    All that stuff you told me about sounds really tasty. When you said 'stalls' on the phone I didn't really know what you meant but I see from the pictures now. We like to see pictures. It looks really festive and fun there for the holiday. What do they call Santa Claus there?

    ReplyDelete